Back to top

SEND Offer

1. How does the school know if children/young people need extra help and what should I do if I think my child may have special educational needs?

How Robert Barclay Academy identifies pupils:

  • Information from previous setting/school.
  • Established and effective secondary transition programme, which includes CATs assessments.
  • Internal assessment programme to support evidence from previous setting/school.
  • Information from parents.
  • Information/referrals from external agencies.
  • Information from the young person.
  • Termly data capture of pupils’ attainment and consequently progress.
  • Departmental meetings and reviews of termly data.

What should parents do if they have concerns?

  • In the first instance contact the subject teacher to discuss concerns.
  • Set short term targets/plans with the teacher with a review date.
  • If concerns remain, the involvement of HoY and/or SENCo can be requested

2. How will school staff support my child?

  • Subject teachers to deliver Quality First Teaching (QFT) on a daily basis as a firm foundation for all pupils.
  • Additional support in some lessons to support class teachers to deliver QFT.
  • Parents’ evenings during the school year to discuss pupil attainment and progress.
  • Parents are encouraged to contact subject teachers and form tutors regarding progress and attainment.
  • Professional development observations completed on a termly basis.
  • Provision map is updated regularly.
  • Consultation with external agencies for specialist support if required.
  • Outside agencies recommendations put in place and followed.
  • Learning Support Assistants who work with individual pupils and small groups.
  • Regular monitoring of all interventions to ensure effective provision.

3.How will I know how my child is doing?

Through the school’s reporting arrangements:

  • One progress review report issued each academic year.
  • One full report issued each academic year.

Other opportunities:

  • Parents evenings
  • Contact with subject teachers and form tutors directly
  • Communication through home/school planner.

4. How will the learning and development provision be matched to my child’s needs?

Learning and development provision will be matched by differentiation within normal classroom practice and quality first teaching by subject specialist teachers. Examples could include; additional resources such as ICT, LSA support, writing frames.

5. What support will there be for my child’s overall wellbeing?

The well-being of young people will be supported via:

  • A whole school consistent ‘Rewards & Sanctions’ System
  • Child Looked After designated person
  • Access to school counsellor
  • Attendance Managers who over see attendance.
  • Student Services
  • Lunch club (social skills development)
  • ‘Safe to Learn’ survey.
  • Student Voice (through the use of surveys and Junior Leadership Team, JLT)
  • Prefect system (Year 11) who work with younger year groups.
  • Anti-bullying Intervention
  • Daily contact with form tutor

6. What specialist services and expertise are available at or accessed by the school?

As a school/trust we can access the support of the following:

  • Specialist assessor for access arrangements for examination purposes.
  • Referrals to Educational Psychology Service (EPS) to support children with learning difficulties
  • Advice from a speech and language therapist
  • Advice from specialist teachers for children with difficulties such as Autism.
  • Involvement with Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service (CAMHS).
  • Regular liaison with the school nurse
  • Whole staff training for differing medical conditions e.g. epilepsy, haemophilia delivered by external experts.
  • Educational Welfare Officer to address any concerns with attendance and unexplained on-going absences.
  • Support and close liaison with HABS (Hoddesdon and Broxbourne Services)
  • Youth Connexions, advice on further education, careers and training opportunities.
  • The Rivers Educational Support Centre provide a variety of support methods such as outreach on a 1:1 basis, small group work etc.
  • Advice and support from the local DSPL 4 group.

7. What training have the staff, supporting children and young people with SEND, had or are having?

There is a full Continuing Professional Self Development (CPSD) planned on a yearly basis. This includes inviting specialist staff from outside agencies such as The Woodside Centre (autism) etc.

Training is planned for groups of staff or individuals based on the needs of the school.

8. How will you help me to support my child’s learning?

Discussions are held with parents and carers at all stages of their child’s time while at Robert Barclay Academy. School staff are happy to liaise and make decisions jointly with parents and carers regarding their child’s needs.  Opportunities to do this could be through pre-arranged meetings and/or at parents’ evenings, as examples.

9. How will I be involved in discussions about and planning for my child’s education?

Following the CoP's recommended graduated response of ‘Assess, Plan, Do, Review’. Parents will be involved where it is felt there are concerns for a young person following each stage of this process. Discussions can take place in a range of contexts such as via e-mail, in writing, telephone conversations, face to face meetings and/or parents evenings.

Pupils are issued with at least one full school report each academic year which shows, target grade, current attainment and attitude to learning. Discussions are invited after the publication of this information as well as at any other time.

10. How will my child be included in activities outside the classroom including school trips?

Children are well prepared before a trip and risk assessments are completed.

  • Approval must be sought from the Headteacher and Governors.
  • Trips are not compulsory but very much encouraged at Key stage 3. 
  • For all trips an assessment of need is completed by the specific staff involved, followed by appropriate provision and implementation wherever required.

11. How accessible is the school environment?

  • At Robert Barclay Academy, many subject areas are in separate buildings/sections of the building, with most being accessible via the ground floor or ramps.
  • Reasonable adjustments can be made for example with timetabling, to support easy access to all curriculum areas.
  • Disabled toilet available
  • Number of staff speak a variety of languages that is reflected in our community and are available to translate

Occupational therapist may recommend specialist equipment to meet the needs of individual children dependant on specific needs.                                                

12. Who can I contact for further information?

  • Subject teachers should be approached initially by parents and carers either via telephone, e-mail or by appointment
  • Appointments are available with all members of the school staff.
  • The welfare officer is available at the start of the school day at the main entrance.
  • Through the SENCO and/or HoY referrals to other agencies for support are available, e.g. HABS, Rivers Outreach, if necessary.

13. How will the school prepare and support my child to join the school, transfer to a new school or the next stage of education and life?

Joining the school:

  • Established transition programme and close working relationships with local primary schools.
  • Pre-visits, based on level of need, decided via communication with feeder school.
  • Meetings with previous settings, parents and pupils.

Transfer to a new school:

  • Sharing of information with appropriate people at new setting.
  • Communication and discussions with staff at new provision.

Next stage of education:

  • Close links to places locally for FE e.g.: Herts Regional College, Hertfordshire University.
  • Involvement of Youth Connexions
  • Supported visits to new establishment
  • Sharing of information with key people at new establishment        

14. How are the school’s resources allocated and matched to children’s special educational needs?

  •  A budget is allocated according to subject, curriculum areas. Resources are then matched based on level of need and allocated/used accordingly.

15. How is the decision made about how much support my child will receive?

  • Decisions are made via assessment and monitoring of individual needs highlighted through attainment, progress and behaviour.  The staff involved in this could include any of the following: SENCo, Subject teacher, HoY, SLT, parents and pupil.
  • Multi-agency meetings can be held with other professionals to discuss the needs of children and families within our school.
  • Support is allocated dependent on the individual needs of the children in conjunction with parents, carers and other professionals.
  • Progress of children is tracked on a termly basis.

16. How can I find information about the local authority’s Local Offer of services and provision for children and young people with special educational needs and disability?

You can find out more detail on the local authority’s Local Offer of services and provision by following this link: